Xenophontos is built by the sea on the southwest side of Mt. Athos. It was founded in the 10th century by the monk Xenophon, from whom it got its name and expanded in the 11th century under the guidance of abbot Stephen who was an admiral of the byzantine empire who became monk. It was dedicated to St. George, whose memory honors on April 23. The new Catholicon was built during the period 1809-1919, though the old one is also preserved. It is much smaller than the new one (its nucleus is of the 10th century) and it has frescoes of the 16th and 17th century. The library contains approximately 300 manuscripts and 4.000 printed works. The monastery is the 16th in the hierarchy of Mt. Athos.